Friday, December 4, 2009

Santa who?


Santa who?
This observation started off just like many others, the students entered the room full of energy and took a lot of time to get settled down. As the student teacher taught throughout the morning I spent my time mainly observing the student teaching in action. As the semester has gone on and as I have learned more in my education courses at school, I have become more attentive to the actual teaching practices in my observation. I am starting to recognize moments during certain lessons (mostly literacy) where I could start using what I have learned in my classes. In one of my classes we have a class website where we have a huge supply of info on Lieteracy.
The student’s teacher has an interesting approach to her style, she does not really follow the ways I am being taught how to instruct reading. She seems to be taking a completely different approach in that during the lessons, she is depending on more student participation that I am being instructed to allow this early in the year. I am being taught to model everything before you have the students do it themselves. I think I am going to ask the teacher about this.
Well later in the class the students began to get a little out of hand, like usual it started to happen around lunch time. The class was working on independent math worksheets and I was making my way through the class answering any questions as usual. It is always fun to hear what all the kids are talking about even though they think you can hear what they are saying. Teachers hear everything. One student was talking about the upcoming holidays and he approached me and somehow our discussion got rooted toward Christmas, and the next thing I knew it I was being called Santa Claus. And not much later the rest of the class got involved and was calling me the same. For no real reason that I could see. I wasn’t mad; I found it to be strangely funny. These kids can always find a way to make me feel better no matter what had happened previously in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment