Thursday, December 3, 2009

Johnny Appleseed

The first observation went so well I decided to go back for a second, yea to tell the truth I was not all that thrilled to be going back. I did literally nothing on the first visit, I sat in a corner and watch a student teacher for three hours, great use of my time, and the teachers weren’t even all that approachable and talked little to me. You can see my enthusiasm for wanting to go back. But I was determined to impress the secretaries, they do run the school by the way, I wore all my nicest clothes and this time made sure my tie was nice and tight and straight. Nothing, lame no response or even a look this time, great start.
I headed down to the classroom when I almost literally ran into the student teacher who was in a hustle. All I got out of our walk or run to the classroom was, “oh, I forgot you were coming today, but oh good you can help me, have you ever used a crock pot?” She then explained that her professor was coming this morning to observe her teaching about a lesson she had created. It was on Johnny Appleseed and I would be dipping apples for the students in chocolate for them to decorate. So I was introduced to my station, two crock pots full of melted chocolate, 21 crazed students soon to be given more sugar, and me in my nice dress pants and white dress shirt. Make smart choices, I thought this shirt has to last all semester.
Then the rampage started again, the kids flew in the door like they were on a mission to see how many of them they could get in the door at once. This day I actually got a few remarks from the kids, mostly about the food, but I girl said I to me and kept looking my way all class, I think she has a crush on me.
So during the activity I somehow managed to keep the kids under control and actually start talking and teaching them some stuff, while nothing really important they were mostly just trying to figure out how strict I was going to be. Strict, I thought to myself but knew that that was probably not the case. I also somehow managed to keep myself clean, the student on the other hand weren’t so lucky, woops not my fault they wanted to try and finger paint with the chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment