Thursday, December 3, 2009

GOING TO BE TEACHING!!!!

GOING TO BE TEACHING!!!!
Yes, that’s right me, the shy, nervous, unwillingness to speak in front of people is going to have to teach a math lesson to a bunch of rowdy seven year olds. Great combination, me in a bad tired mood, and rampaging little kids everywhere. So the teacher was nice enough to give me all the materials from the math book but was also not so kind in giving me the time slot to teach them right before lunch. I swear half the questions during the hour before lunch are “how much longer ‘till lunch” and “when can I eat”. I usually like to joke around a little here but today I was in no joking matter, it was time to take the reins.
There I was standing in front of the class, alone, while the others teachers were off to the side doing other work. The class didn’t notice I was standing there, they just kept on talking, so I let them, I stood there silently with my arms crossed just looking at them, no facial expressions at all. Finally one by one they,(how do I say this nicely of yea) STOPPED TALKING. I then instructed them to take out their math books and open to the assigned page. We then went over the lesson, I very carefully spoke loudly, clearly and made sure I was making sense in what I was reading. Then came for the hard part, doing examples, I showed the first one and then asked for student volunteers, this was difficult because I still didn’t know all their names. It seemed I only knew the trouble makers names, and not the few who volunteer all the time. So I gestured to tem and we survived that part. Then came the worksheet, this was surprisingly trick, I had to make sure the entire class was on task while still helping out those students in need. Finally we got through the lesson, I survived. Disappointment struck again when I got no response from either teacher.
First experience teaching a lesson, FAIL in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment