Friday, December 4, 2009

Mind Games

On this particular day my students were especially rowdy. I am now taking a more significant role in the class, I am being more involved with the students and their work. I am some what in charge of the class during the first morning warm up worksheet while the other teachers deal with other boring teacher stuff. Today the kids seemed the lack what little focus they usually have in the morning. But I was determined to get them settled down, or my name isn’t Mr. Blum.
Well that was ironic, one of the students approached me, in attempt to avoid work, and asked me about the visitor badge I have to wear. They are wondering why I have to wear a visitor badge if I am teaching them, I then had to explain that I neither work for the school like their teachers or go to school here like them. So in turn that means that I am a visitor. Still there were many more questions to follow but I finally used a teaching strategy that I learned, just tell them to get back to work or lose their recess, all ways works.
Well not this time, these kids were determined today not to do any work. A few minutes later another student approached me with a interesting question, “what’s your name”. I told them that they knew my name and they needed to get back to work. But that is not what they wanted, they wanted to know my FIRST name. There was no need for them to know this so I decided if they were going to play games with me I was going to also. I continued to tell them that my name was “Mr. Blum” and they kept asking for my first name and I told them that that was my name and they were so confused, “Mister Blum” that’s my name I don’t understand your confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment